That’s the Lean Growth Canvas in its entirety. The picture to the right shows what it can look like on a whiteboard.
Working with the Lean Growth Canvas
Use it as a tool to find the One Metric That Matters and where to target your growth hacking experiments. Just remember to back the canvas up with data. The canvas is a way to avoid “data vomit” and help you manage your metrics and it should be used together with a powerful analytics engine such as KISSMetrics, MixPanel or Google Analytics, preferably in an agile work environment such as Scrum.
You can also use the canvas as the center of a Lean Marketing organisation, just make sure to have the product developers near.
Here is a simple process you can follow:
- Start by filling the canvas with yellow post-it notes, each with a description and a metric as described above. Get the latest metrics from your analytics tool.
- Discuss which zone is the most important to focus on. Hint: before product/market fit, focus on retention driving features.
- Then add green post-it notes to that zone and write down something you want to experiment with plus an expected outcome of the experiment. For example, in the Flow Moments-section you add a note saying “add ‘explore similar content’ to post view” and the expected impact on session length.
- Now you have yellow post-its representing the current state and green post-its representing potential experimental changes.
- Implement the best experiment (highest impact, least effort).
- Repeat daily or weekly (depending on your delivery cycle speed).
That’s it. Very simple and fits perfectly with an up-and-running scrum team.
Want a clean, nice PNG of the Lean Growth Canvas? It’s right here:
Download a PNG of the Lean Growth Canvas.
Lean Forward wants entrepreneurs and enterprises to innovate and grow with minimum waste and risk. We can help you get started working with the Lean Growth Canvas in your organisation. Give us a call or send us an email and let’s talk!.